The Iowa Public Health Association, the Iowa Food Systems Council, Practical Farmers of Iowa, the Iowa Primary Care Association and the Iowa League of RC&Ds are seeking speakers for the 2012 Healthy Farms, Healthy People State Meeting on November 16 in Marshalltown, Iowa. Speaker abstracts will be accepted now through September 14.
This convening will be innovative in that it will be a forum to discuss and examine the intersection between agriculture and human health. Specifically, Healthy Farms/Healthy People will:
- Showcase how the health of Iowans is dependent on healthy relationships between agriculture, food, health care and public health
- Provide a public forum to discuss priorities and build partnerships around food, health and agriculture initiatives in Iowa
- Find common points in the scope of work within public health, agriculture, food production and distribution, and health care
Consider representing your organization or your own work at this meeting by submitting a proposal to speak! Registration for this event is available here.
Presentations should be directed to the large audience of health care organizations, clinical staff, health providers, rural health advocates, state and local agencies and officials, members of the farming community, local food coordinators, advocates and eaters. Speakers should base their presentation on 1) Food, 2) Farming, 3) Healthcare or 4) Public Health.
Applicants will be notified by e-mail when the proposal and other attachments have been received. Applicants will also be informed by e-mail whether their proposal to speak was accepted or declined. Current e-mail addresses must be provided on the form.
Session 1: Four Presentations, 20 minutes each
Session 2: “Speed Round”, 10-15 presentations limited to 3 minutes
Session 3: Four Presentations, 20 minutes each
The speed round will be followed by an open networking session to connect, build and strengthen partnerships. Speakers are encouraged to allot time for questions and comments, and are asked to limit PowerPoint presentations to 3 slides or fewer (if applicable).
Proposals to speak should demonstrate that the presentation will do all or some of the following:
- Illustrate a program, project or plan that is unique, new, different or creative
- Relate to the “real world” and describe an example of a best or promising practice
- Apply the program, project or plan to a real-world setting
- Show how the program, project or plan can be duplicated by another community or setting
All proposals should clearly outline what the presentation is about and have direct relevance to the sectors of food, farming, healthcare or public health.
Learning Objectives must be included. When writing objectives, clearly describe the information, skills, behaviors, or perspectives that participants in the session will acquire. An example of a learning objective would be:
- Participants will be able to describe the impact of small gardens on food deserts
In addition to submitting the proposal with learning objectives online, applicants must e-mail their biosketch, resume or curriculum vitae to email@example.com September 14, 2012 at 5:00 P.M. Questions about submitting proposals can be directed to Virginia Tonelli at firstname.lastname@example.org.